Sunday, November 20, 2011

Blue skies, farmer's markets and one big friggin' hole in the ground.

I feel like "The Little Engine That Could".... Chugga-chugga, chugga-chugga, chugga-chugga-choo-choo! "I think I can... I think I can...I think I can" I used to love that book.

Only one more stretch before this crazy trip comes to a close. How is it even possible I have been on the road for nearly two whole weeks...? That's absurd to me. This whole adventure is coming to a close so quickly. I can already feel myself reeling in the shock of all these months of planning (or lack thereof...), finally coming to a close. The other day I got to think too far ahead of myself, and thought "what am I going to have to 'look forward to' now that my road trip is almost over...?" Of course, that is completely ridiculous because I have an entire new city, and basically a whole coastline to explore, as well as a gazillion new people to meet. Emily, some how, some way, you will find a way to occupy yourself.

The last couple days have been nothing short of epic. I made it through Texas, FINALLY. That was brutal. I realize I sound dramatic and over-the-top about all this, but I strongly feel that anyone would start to question their sanity after staring at the same God-forsaken nothingness of landscape that is the Texan scenery after FOUR DAYS. Won't be doing that again any time soon...

Who you callin' a Ho??

I will give Texas one little ounce of credit though. After my night in Amarillo (which was the least pleasant experience of my trip - I apparently chose a hotel directly down wind from some gigantic horse farm, or maybe the city is surrounded by horse farms... regardless, the 40mph winds were gusting some foul smells the whole time I was there), Friday morning I got up early to drive Southeast of the city to the Palo Duro Canyon. It was an unbelievably clear day, with this insanely blue sky. The canyon was gorgeous and I'm really pumped about some of the pictures I was able to snag. Overall, a super positive way to end what shall hence-forth be known as "The Dreaded Texanpedition of 2011".

On the road out to Palo Duro Canyon

Even Texans have a sense of humor I guess. 

Palo Duro Canyon, TX

After rejoicing in the all-consuming joy that overcame me upon finally crossing the New Mexico border, I calmly made my way to Albuquerque to pick up my MamaDews at the airport! Her flight got in around 6pm on Friday, so we made our way an hour north to Santa Fe in the dark. The next morning proceeded to be some of the most fabulous 5 hours of my trip so far. We got up and packed our things, rearranging poor Mona's packmule-like load we have stuffed her with, and then walked over to the Santa Fe Farmer's Market that was just across the park from the Inn we stayed at. Now, as many of you may know, a good Farmer's Market is like crack to me. Add in an Artist's Market with obscene amounts of turquoise, plus the fact that the weather was perfect and they had a gluten free baked goods table... I was just proud of myself for not running around the market like a newly independent Macaulay Culkin à la "Home Alone"...
Fresh fire-roasted peppers! Seriously, that's a huge ass flame under the barrel. 

The city of Santa Fe was beautiful. All of the buildings are of course in the traditional old-style pueblo/adobe design. The color of the buildings set against the unreal backdrop of the snow covered mountains further to the north was nothing short of jaw-dropping. Mom tripped over her feet, I kid you not, nothing short of 7 times because she just kept gawking at the scenery. I threatened to strap her to a wheel chair for the rest of her trip if she didn't watch where she was going, so she quickly shaped up. But honestly, that's how beautiful it was. So much to look at... So many things I desperately wanted to buy... I was very proud of myself though. After much deliberation I settled on one pair of earrings, hand made by a woman who had set up shop in the Indian Market next to the main square. I would also like to mention that this is the first piece of jewelry I have purchased on this trip. Again, those of you who know me well, please send your virtual "congratulations" along as you please. Accessories, farmers markets and chocolate. Not the worst vices one could have, right??

So! Today... Today, me-oh-my... Ok wait, one more thing. After half a day in Santa Fe, we hit the road once again, mom at the wheel (thank GOD, it was such a relief to not be driving for a while). The road towards Arizona was UNBELIEVABLE. Some of the most breath-taking scenery I have witness yet. Since we missed the view coming in the night before, we were able to finally see the incredible mountain scenery surrounding the Santa Fe area and even out of Albuquerque into the desert. Basically mom and I didn't speak for 4 hours except for two words: "Holy sh*t..." There were honestly no other words. We were also blessed to see one of the most beautiful sunsets I have seen in my life. Perhaps one to even rival the mid-summer sunsets at the cabin on Lake Morey. 
The colors were so surreal... Pictures of the drive and the ones at the Grand Canyon just don't do it justice...

Ok, so about today. Again, mom and I arrived at the Grand Canyon in the pitch black. After checking in and getting to our room at the Bright Angel Lodge located on the canyon's rim, we took a (very) quick walk to the path along the edge of the rim. The park was eerily quite; there was truthfully not a sound to be heard except for the gusting winds and the ever-present feeling that "it's out there". We could not see a thing, but knowing that this massive gash in the earth was a few mere feet away from us sent us into nervous giggles and running back to the warmth of rustic lodge. 

I had made a promise to myself that I would see the sunrise at the Grand Canyon, and so I convinced mom to wake up at 6am to start walking out to an overlook that faced the east. Nothing could have prepared us for the view we were rewarded with. Again, pictures can hardly do it justice, but it will be something to remember it by.
You can see the itty-bitty lights of the Canyon Village on the right side of the plateau.

I basically have a gazillion and one pictures from the gazillion and one vantage points we tried to get to throughout the day. Of course none of them measure up to what it looks like in real-life (scliché, I knowwww, but it's the truth). In all honesty, the sheer magnitude and beauty of this place makes me highly suspicious that perhaps the whole thing is actually a scam. Maybe what we're really looking at is just some crazy high-def hologram set up in a government conspiracy to keep Americans and international tourists smiling in dumbfounded bewilderment at an image that basically blows our puny minds. Hey, you never know.
New favorite pic. Photo props to MamaDew.

Shout out again to my brother Mikey. After seeing my Facebook post this morning about this being "one big effing hole," he posted the following video for my viewing pleasure. And in keeping with the "Home Alone" references today, it seems appropriate to share with you. Unfortunately for me, I received it while on a bus full of people, mostly international tourist. So thanks Mikey for making me look like the crazy American girl, yet again. 

Marv was always my favorite Wet-Bandit. 


And so tomorrow will be the beginning of the end with the longest drive of the trip yet... A solid 9 hours of cruising time between here and Carlsbad, CA. Mom and I will be spending the night with a friend of her's from high school who has been in the SoCal area for a number of years. I am super excited to meet her, and after listening to mom and Judy talk on the phone, I can only come to the solid conclusion that they are exactly the same way I am with my closest friends. They haven't seen each other in ages, but I don't think they're going to be able to shut up the entire visit. One talking over the other, and then both cracking up in fits of giggles... Yup, just like my girls! And then Tuesday will officially mark the end of this awesomely incredible, epic and mind-blowing, girl-power, kick-ass adventure when we FINALLY arrive at my cousin Kristin's house in Encinitas, CA... Tuesday, I can say "I did it!" Stay tuned my loves ;o)

Hugs 'n love to the moon and back again,
Your EmiLou

1 comment:

  1. Wishing we were with you. What a gas!!

    AJ UT

    ReplyDelete