Tuesday, November 15, 2011

An open letter to the city of NOLA:

Dearest Darling Glamorously Grand New Orleans,
I am so intrigued, yet leery of you. We really aren't meant for each other, let's face it. You're like that bad-boy guy I am always into, but know I shouldn't be because, let's face it, that NEVER works out. You see, we're just opposites, and while it seems like such a good idea if I don't think too much about it, it would just never work out. 

Here's the thing... You're all about being deep-fried, and smothered in chocolate (or bacon fat depending on your mood...), and hey, who am I to judge, to each their own, but that's really not my style these days. And your cologne dear Nola, the intense and permeating smell of cigars and bad decisions just kind of wrinkles my nose. To top it off, your love for soft-shelled seafood might actually hospitalize me, and not in that swooning-love-sick-heart-break sort of way. One kiss from a craw-daddy mouth and this girl's a big hive-covered mess with an epi-pen jabbed in her leg. Does that sound like a fun relationship to you?? Nope, nuh-uh. 

Famous Cafe Du Monde. 
They give you three, THREE beignets.
 And no, they won't just let you have one. I asked.
 I was also awake half the night due to sugar overrrrrloooooad from just the one. 

And yet.... Yes, there is that "yet".... There is something so.... "Grand" about you. That's the only word that seems to fit. The sprawling houses covered in years upon years of twisting vines creeping their way up from the ground, trying to break in through the windows, while the eerily elegant moss hangs in exhaustion from the branches of your willow trees. It seems surreal, like walking through the set of an old Hollywood movie. Every time I opened the door to yet another adorably unique shop in the French Quarter I half expected to find the door made of plywood and a young Marlon Brando cut-out as the "customer" in the window ("STELLAAAAA!!"). But, nope, it's all for real. The brightly colored buildings, the donkey-drawn carriages, and my personal favorite that always wins my heart in every new city: the street artists. And your street cars, oh your street cars. I'll admit, I might have swooned a bit as I rode down St Charles Street on my way into the Quarter...
Siiiiigh.

But no. No, no and no. A fling will be enough. It's just not meant to be. You would have been able to keep me distracted and blinded by your bawdy ways when I was younger and oh-so-much-more naive, not this time though. But I promise you I can thoroughly appreciate you, you really are amazing in so many ways. You've been through hell and back again, and somehow you've managed to keep a smile on your face, a sugar covered beignet with a cafe au lait and a "Here you go honey," for everyone who comes your way. You are fabulous, and mysterious, and everything I love about something I know I shouldn't have. 

(Shhhh, I'll keep you my dirty little secret.)
It's been fabulous Big Easy, but it's time to keep moving. 
Laissez bon temps roulez <3
EmiLou


(** Will write more soon everyone! In Texas now, night one of three in this country-sized state... Mehhhh. Pictures of the trip up through Atlanta can be seen at: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.977149472571.2397781.11003550&type=1&l=1d180357ad
Enjoy! Lots of love<3 **)

2 comments:

  1. Hellooooo Emily!! Yes, you know that I checked the blog first thing this morning and was rewarded with yet another fabulous "peek" into your adventures! Many have commented on your writing style (as have I) and I am reminded of "our" 3rd grade creative writing class. Do you recall....??? hahahaahaaa Of course I'd like to think that perhaps I have "a little somethin" to do with that "style", but know better! I'm very proud of you not only for your bravery, but the way you are "soaking it all in" and documenting everything. You'll be glad you did (and so will your children and grandchildren -- ahahahahahaaa). Love you to the moon and back. See you Friday!!! :) Ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Em
    Sounds like you're doing great. Keep the blogs coming.

    AJ & UT

    ReplyDelete